Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Conquering the Wild Wild West

It was recently brought to my attention that I had not post on my blog recently. When I went to see when my last post was I couldn't believe it was back in March!! I feel like a lifetime of events have occurred in the last 6 months and have no idea where to begin. Finishing my first travel assignment was a huge accomplishment, knowing that I could pick up and move across the country away from any familiar face for 13 weeks meant that I could pretty much do any thing I wanted from now on.  Just getting that first 13 week assignment under my belt was the door opener to continuing to travel.  My second 13 week assignment was awesome! It was in Portland but in a much smaller ER. I made some great friends there, the staff was amazing and so welcoming. It was fun to go to work and  because when you are working with your friends it makes the days so much easier.  I did a lot of sightseeing around Portland those 13 weeks. If you know anything about Portland you know it is known for its microbreweries and diversified culinary tastes. There was a group of us that hung out almost non-stop trying new restaurants and new beers. It was one of the best summers I have had just getting to know people and living life!! My third travel assignment was to Hood River Oregon.  If you have never heard of this little gem, you are missing out.  HR is a small town on the Columbia River in the middle of the Columbia River Gorge and it sits at the base of Mt Hood.  If you have never seen or heard of the Columbia River Gorge, your life will never be complete. The Columbia River Gorge is one the most beautiful place I have ever been to and ever seen, I am in awe of it every time I drive through it. I would put it up there with the Grand Canyon, so majestic!! Anyways, back to Hood River, this tiny little town of 5000 people jumps up in population to about 30,000 people in the summer because of the location on the CRG. HR is perfectly situated on the gorge that it is almost windy everyday, bringing an extra 25000 windsurfers and kite surfers, thus nicknaming it the "Windsurfing Capital of the World." I had the opportunity to be able to go down and watch the windsurfers and kite surfers on several occasions and it is amazing. I know it takes a lot of work and strength to keep yourself up. Hood River was my home for a short 8 weeks and I loved every minute of it. I loved waking up and looking out my window and see Mt Hood or every thursday going to the farmers market.  The hospital was a 10 bed ER and I was the only RN on from midnight to 6 am, most of the time I would take my ipad and just watch movies, every once in awhile I would have to actually be a nurse!! It was hard for me to leave Oregon when my contract was up.  I had been to so many amazing and beautiful places. For anyone who is looking for a vacation idea, the Pacific Northwest is filled with so many places to see. My top 5 there were Mt. St. Helens, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, Cannon Beach and of course Mt Hood!! You will never be sorry visiting this part of the country.

My road trip home lead me to some of our countries most treasured places. On the way home I went to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and a quick trip to Wall Drugs in South Dakota.  Glacier National Park is in Montana about 30 miles from the Canadian boarder, sitting in the middle of the Rockies.  There is a road through the park called "Into the Sun" Road, I think a more suitable name would be, "try not to die" road! It is barely, and by barely I mean side mirrors are going to probably touch, wide enough for two cars to pass and you are at 8000ft elevation with no guardrails on the side, so if you are going to go off the side you pretty much will die!! I white knuckled it the entire time I was driving, the only good part to this is that I was coming down out of the rockies to a more suitable elevation and didn't really notice bc I was mostly concerned with not driving off the road and dying. Back to Glacier, it was beautiful, I saw rams and mountain goats and I was on a mission to see moose and a grizzly bear. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any.  On the second day of my road trip home I went to Yellowstone National Park. It is amazing, and again if you haven't been GO!! So much to do there, you could stay a whole week, since I only had a day, I had to make it count!! I went to Old Faithful but had just missed it and it was raining so I didn't stick around, I went to the painted pots, I saw so many elk, the buffalo walk along the road and right up to your car. On my way out of the park I saw a cute little black bear roaming the prairie, but again no moose or grizzly or so I thought.  I was just about out of the park with I saw a line of cars stopped, this usually meant some creature was out and about, so I stopped and asked and sure enough there she was a female grizzly bear looking for food.  I was able to capture some pics and it was worth my whole trip there!! I left Yellowstone a happy happy girl!! Day 3 of my trip I drove 20+ hours to get back home and sleep in my own bed for the first time in 8 months!! It was worth it.

I had 5 weeks off between assignments so I decided to take advantage of this time. I spent as much time as could with the two cutest 2 and 5 year old I know. My mom was able to get some time off so we would pick them up from school and take them to the park or to the root beer stand. I was also able to have a cook out with all of my extended family. I had missed Christmas in July with my Benjamin family it was so nice to see most of them at my cookout and catch up with everyone!! I also took a two week vacation to Grand Cayman Island with one of my good friends. For 2 weeks all we did was go to the pool, the bar, the beach and bed. It was the best vacation I have ever had and so relaxing, after being gone for 2 weeks and not working for 5 I was ready to get back to work and get back to a routine!! Once again I packed up my car and drove across the country and landed in Chandler Arizona. Chandler is a suburb of Phoenix. I picked this area this time of year for the weather and let me tell you, I have to remind myself that it is a week before Thanksgiving, I keep thinking it is August.  Since I have been here it has been anywhere from 90 degrees to 70 degrees. I understand why people winter here, you can't beat this weather!!

I love the hospital, everyone has been welcoming. After being off for 5 weeks, I had to give my self a little time to get back into the hustle and bustle of the ER but it is like riding a bike. They have a different flow that I have ever experienced so it took a little time to get used to it but I like it. I went out the other night after work with some of the staff and had a good time. It is funny because we all were from the midwest. I have yet to meet anyone out here from actually Phoenix or even Arizona. Most everyone I meet is from either California or the Midwest.  I will be here until January 19th, I do get to go home for Christmas but only for about 4 days.  My mom is coming out here next week over Thanksgiving.  We are going to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.  The summer after third grade we took a trip to California to see my aunt and uncle, my dad was driving, apparently we were all asleep and he drove past the Grand Canyon, my mom was not happy about it so that is our first stop on Sunday when I pick her up from the airport!!

I have officially accepted my next position and it will be in a suburb of San Fancisco, Walnut Creek California!! I am so excited. This past summer I had the opportunity to visit SF for a few days while my aunt was there on business and it was amazing. I completely fell in love with the city and couldn't wait to get an assignment in the area. I start there in Feb!! I am looking forward to doing a road trip up the 101!!

I will post some pic of my adventures over the last 6 months!!
 Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment