Monday, March 11, 2013

Camping 101

This past weekend I went camping for 3 nights.  First rule of camping: look at the weather forecast prior to packing!  I packed clothes for a cool summer night, not a freezing spring night.  We arrived to the campground on Thursday afternoon, set up camp and then went to the beach.  By dusk, it was starting to cool off considerably and I was adding the layers.  Since camping is not my first love and fashion is, I had packed enough clothes that I could layer everything up and stay warm enough...so I thought!!  Since I had worked on Wednesday night and went straight to the campground I was going on no sleep, I went to bed early.  I took a double air mattress to sleep on because there was no way I was sleeping on the ground, did I mention this is also princess camping, I certainly thought I would be warm with a blanket, sleeping bag and an air mattress...WRONG!!  I woke up several times during the night so cold I could hardly move, after some minor adjustments to the position of my sleeping bag, I finally found warmth and was able to get some sleep.  When I woke up on Friday morning there was ice on my tent.  I never looked at the temp but I am guessing it dipped down into the low 30s upper 20s on Thursday night.  I think that some of the girls were expecting me to pack it up and go home on Friday, but I stayed and camped through till Sunday!! It was a lot of fun and can't wait to go back, I will definitely be packing a little different next time!! I loved that you could hear the waves hitting the shore from our campsite and it was so peaceful at night.  I am not going to lie, on several occasions I did have fleeting thoughts that I was going to be murdered in my sleep, I guess that is what watching Criminal Minds does to your psyche :-), all in all I felt safe the whole time.  We also weren't the only ones camping, there were actually a lot of people there this weekend so that also made me feel safe!!
The Beach at Cape Lookout State Park
 My tent and bed
 Our campfire
 Lots of yummy food
 Sunset over the mountains
Sunset over the ocean
 One of the girls brought glow sticks to decorate our campsite
 me waking up on Friday morning with ice on the tent...sooooo cold
 Our campsite at night with the glow stick chain

No comments:

Post a Comment